One Water Birth or Two?!

I’ve joined in the Tweeting every week, getting all broody and googly at the cute little newborns on One Born Every Minute, but it wasn’t until prompted last week that I thought about adding my own birth story and joining in on the Netmums Parent Bloggers Network!

I’m someone that mums who suffered long and horrendous labours will want to hate, because I’ve had two children, and in total, I’ve been in labour for less than 6 hours. I’ve never had any pain relief, not even gas and air, and just 25 minutes before my son was born, I was sat at home feeding my daughter her breakfast.

But before you totally hate me, it did hurt, and I needed stitches, LOADS of stitches!

I knew giving birth would be the most painful experience of my life, but I’d accepted that, and I always in labour, focussed on getting the baby out, not how much it hurt. For me, that worked. When my invitation to antenatal classes came through, I never went. I just felt incredibly uncomfortable about the whole thing. I didn’t want to know what might happen, because it might not happen! I just wanted to deal with what happened when it happened. I had no birth plan. I decided how to play things when I was in labour. The last thing I wanted during the most painful experience of my life was someone telling me that I didn’t really want this or that because it said so in my birth plan!

My first child was due May 4th 2007. When I went to bed on May 1st, something didn’t feel right. I’d been getting a few cramps so I thought I’d while away the time by counting the time between each cramp to practice for when I was in labour (this is probably the point where you’re thinking those antenatal classes may’ve come in handy!). They were coming about every 7 minutes, then 5, then 4. How funny, I thought, that’s just like what labour contractions do! It was about 4:30am and suddenly I felt a tiny pop inside me. It was so slight I honestly thought it was an air bubble, until I got out of bed. At this point I phoned maternity and they told me they’d send a midwife round at 8:30am, to assess me. I was fine with that and decided to have a shower, which they’d told me was fine to do. As I was about to get in, maternity called to say they were quiet, so did I want to go in. I had my shower, did my make up and straightened my hair (hey if I was in labour, I didn’t want those first photos of me to be looking any worse than I had to!) which as you’ll see from the photos was pretty pointless!
I got to the hospital at 5:30am and the first time the midwife checked me out I was fully dilated. After establishing that I quite fancied a waterbirth, my husband distinctly remembers the midwife turning to the assistant with quite a frenzied look saying “Get that pool running NOW!” Then it was all pretty straightforward. I got in the water at about 6:30am, and at 7:24am we welcomed our beautiful daughter, Evie Mae into the world!
My second baby was due on April 10th 2009. Evie was slightly early, so everyone was telling me to be prepared, second babies come earlier, second babies come quick etc. but due date arrived, and baby hadn’t.
Then on Easter Saturday we were sat watching Britain’s Got Talent and I started to wonder if that was a twinge I just felt. I decided it wasn’t, but was feeling tired so decided to go to bed. I woke up at about 5am and thought I was getting twinges so I phoned the hospital. My waters hadn’t broken, so they told me to phone back when the contractions were bearable but only just, or if my waters broke. I got up, and Evie woke up about 6:30 so I got her up and dressed, and checked to see if the Easter Bunny had been (he had)! I phoned the hospital back at about 9am to say the contractions had got stronger, so they told me to get my mother-in-law round to look after Evie and to phone when I was on my way in. At 9:40am I phoned the hospital which was only 5 minutes up the road. 9:45am I walked into the foyer of the hospital where my waters broke (great timing). The poor boy who worked in the WHSmith there who thought he’d have a quiet time on double time because it was Easter Sunday sure got a surprise when I got down on all fours and told him I was going to give birth there! My husband phoned up to maternity and within seconds, this (amazing) lady came running down the stairs with a blanket and a pair of scissors! She realised I wasn’t going to make it upstairs so they got me into the toilets. I didn’t realise it at the time just how quick it was but my notes which were written retrospectively say it all: 9:48am: Michelle’s husband calls to say birth is imminent. 9:54am: Birth of live male infant! Hello Harry Joe!

I’m sure you can imagine the comments we’ve had when people hear how our gorgeous little man arrived into the world, but we ignored all suggestions to call him Louis or even Armitage!
So there we are, two babies, two water births (sort of!), no pain relief, lots of stitches and two VERY proud parents! That is all!

2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. MotherWifeMe
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 17:42:49

    Am far from hating you, but I do now have a serious case of labour envy – says she of 4 day induced labour + loads of other rubbish bits on top


  2. Vanessa (HousewivesInc)
    Jan 27, 2012 @ 21:27:36

    I totally had to laugh at the bit about you straightening your hair before going in to hospital!!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: